ST. PAUL'S CHURCH ON ARRAN QUAY IN THE SMITHFIELD AREA OF DUBLIN
St Paul’s dates from 1835-37, was designed by Patrick Byrne, and is one of the most prominent buildings on the city quays. Patrick Byrne was a prominent church architect of the time and was also responsible for St Audoen’s on nearby High Street. A fine portico with four Ionic columns fronts the church to the river in a very prominent site, especially for a catholic church which were usually sited on quieter back streets. The tower was completed in 1843 and gives the church a visibility along the quays except from the east where it is blocked by the dome of the Four Courts. The statues were added in 1870. It is currently closed to the public after a decline in numbers living in the parish.